[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

Mon Nov 3 20:38:58 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been asked a few times about a CentOS 5 ServerCD. Is something
> like this planned or simply impossible ?
>
> (Was reminded by this comment on LWN: http://lwn.net/Articles/304730/)

Some of the issues, of the top of my head :

1) Upstream now has a product called 'Server' and at the time we felt it
might cause confusion to have a 'Server' that is not even remotely the
same thing as upstreams 'Server'

2) ServerCD 4 to ServerCD(!) 5 upgrades required a ServerCD5 that was
almost 900MB in size.

3) Since you can now have a finer level of package selection and
installation control at install time, many people felt that the impact
and use case for ServerCD was diminished.

4) Talk at the time of a CentOSPlus kernel based installed ( therefore
xfs etc support at install time, additional drivers, perhaps some more
userland stuff too ) might be a good idea, but that never got traction
so we felt that if no one really cared enough to talk about it, perhaps
no one really wanted it - or people already have process's in place that
worked around the issue.

Finally, it wasent going to be possible to get the exact same usage
scenarios covered in a single CD for CentOS-5 as it was for CentOS-4.
Perhaps if there is enough interest we can revisit this situation and
reconsider the issues. But thats just what the reasons are why there
isnt a CentOS-5 servercd at the moment. Nothing stops that situation
from changing within reasonable grounds.

- KB