[CentOS-devel] rubygems rpm spec file

Wed Nov 19 17:59:05 UTC 2008
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> projects.centos.org solves this very problem :D
>>
>> But we would need a standard for the specs to get adopted, and
>> working
>> with atleast the Fedora standards would be a good place to start.
>
> For gems I think adoption of the generated spec files from gem2rpm is
> quite okay - those specs look very clean. Find one attached.

The generated spec file is perhaps a little bit unnecessarily ornate.

For starters, I know of no reliable or wide-spread usage atm for
	Provides: ruby(foo)
so feel free to use that rather than
	Provides: rubygems(foo)

A separate namespace for rubygems(...) is unlikely to be widely
adopted imho, feel free to use ruby(...) instead.

Also please note that there is little reason to add ruby peculier
Provides:
for any reason yet. The world of RPM is littered with
various Provides: that seemed like a good idea to someone but never
actually caught on. If you do want to attempt ruby specific
dependencies,
focus on extracting Requires:, the Provides: are very easy to
retrofit where needed once the Requires: reach a certain level
of usage.

OTOH, additional Provides: wrapped in their own foo(bar) name space
hurt nothing
whatsoever.

But KISS is always better imho.

73 de Jeff