[CentOS-devel] Custom CentOS :: Buildinstall: package order problem

Niels de Vos niels.devos at wincor-nixdorf.com
Wed Oct 22 08:47:53 UTC 2008

Richard J wrote:
> Hi Niels,
> Thanks a lot for such a prompt response. Actually, I am new to this
> stuff so I need to clarify this a bit more. Are you saying that if
> 'PreReq' is used instead of 'Requires' in .spec then the kernel rpm
> would install before my RPM??

Yes.

From http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/ch-advanced-packaging.html:

10.1.2. Setting prerequisites

A prerequisite is similar to a require dependency, except that a
prerequisite must be installed prior to a given package. Specify a
prerequisite as follows:

PreReq: capability

You can include version-number dependencies, such as:

PreReq: capability >= version

In most usage, a PreReq: acts just like Requires:, in fact, the PreReq:
directive exists just to allow for a manual order to dependencies. RPM
guarantees that the PreReq: package will be installed prior to the package
that names the PreReq: dependency.