[CentOS-devel] kernel panic, Centos3131, BZ456664

David Hrbáč hrbac.conf at seznam.cz
Sun Oct 26 16:52:50 UTC 2008

Hi to all,
I'd like to inform about %subject%. I have recently upgraded tens of C4
machines to 2.6.9-78.0.5.EL kernel. Two of machines are having symptoms
being said in Centos3131, BZ456664. There are two workarounds, change
/etc/init.d/iptables sed -i.bak -e
's/_tables$/_CONNTRACKNEW/;s/_conntrack$/_tables/;s/_CONNTRACKNEW$/_conntrack/'
/etc/init.d/iptables or run a "newer" kernel. I have rebuild RH kernel
on Centos and published it here http://fs12.vsb.cz/hrb33/pub/Centos3131/

I guess CentOS team should release warning to users about that issue and
inform them to not upgrade to recent kernel on remote machines without
remote management. I will explain why. If user upgrades remote machine
to 2.6.9-78.0.5.EL kernel, initiates reboot finally, machine is going to
hang on iptables unload. If the machine is remote one, without remote
reboot, switching power supply, remote management (ILO, Drac, ...)
machine is complete dead. The only way is to send someone to reset the
machine.
Regards,
David Hrbáč