[CentOS-devel] Re: xfs volume can not be mounted with uuid or label, only scsi device name /dev/sdb

Brandon Davidson

brandond at uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 7 21:40:41 UTC 2008

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> John Shen wrote:
>> That was how I got the LABEL and UUID:
>>
>> [root ~]# /usr/sbin/xfs_admin -lu /dev/sdb
>> label = "/mysql2"
>> UUID = 2560a02a-239b-4ac5-affe-cf71f8e87150
>
> /dev/sdb is the whole bleeding disk. Did you add partitions to it? Then
> one would expect something like /dev/sdb1 instead.

Good catch, Hugo!

The mount(8) man page says:
        -L label
               Mount the partition that has the specified label.
        -U uuid
               Mount  the partition that has the specified uuid.  These two
options require the file /proc/partitions (present since Linux 2.1.116) to exist.

This would indicate that filesystem label detection only works on partitions,
not raw devices. John - try actually creating a partition table on this disk,
and then put your filesystem on /dev/sdb1. I am guessing that you will find
that detection magically starts working after you do that.

--
Brandon Davidson
Systems Administrator
(541) 346-2417 brandond at uoregon.edu
Key Fingerprint 1F08 A331 78DF 1EFE F645 8AE5 8FBE 4147 E351 E139