[CentOS-devel] CentOS Release Timeline (Graphical Display)

Dag Wieers

dag at centos.org
Thu Oct 9 13:15:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>
>>  http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=en-centos-lifecycle.png
>
> I cant see the other one, but this one is incorrect. neither 4.6 nor 5.2 or
> 3.9 have those lifecycles.
>
> The CentOS Version if 3 or 4 or 5, the point bit is only a revision under
> that and we need to make sure that its clear to people that what they run is
> CentOS-5 and not CentOS-5.2
>
> People who *really* *really* need to care, are very very few, and they can
> work the relationship out between 5.2 and 5.1 themselves. If they cant, they
> dont need to care.
>
> Perhaps an alternate display with 2 dimensions that could have point release
> info, as well as lifecycle info ? Or is there some other way to highlight the
> fact that while 5.2 is the latest release CentOS-5, its not what CentOS-5 is
> going to be forever ( which is what it looks like from this image ).

That's why I indicated the update releases in my image. And that is why I
put the release version at the end (and not at the front) of the timeline.

However, the image includes much more information than a normal individual
can get out of it without someone guiding them. So while I am not that
concerned with the fact that someone may interprete it wrongly, I do think
that the text (or explanation) that comes with it should highlight some of
the things that would normally be told during a presentation.

This slide and the next one need guidance anyhow to transfer the
full message.

BTW if you compare it to the release-cycle Canonical released after my
blog-post it is very easy to be misled by what Ubuntu LTS offers.