[CentOS-devel] CentOS Release Timeline (Graphical Display)

Dag Wieers

dag at centos.org
Thu Oct 9 14:22:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> On 10/8/08, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=en-centos-lifecycle.png
>>> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=es-centos-lifecycle.png
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>
>> It definitely looks better.
>>
>> But is it easy to update ? Over the course of a year I had to change it a
>> few times. Usually to update it before a new presentation. Adding update
>> releases, shifting support times.
>
> Well ... each update needs a svg file modification and to update the
> related translation files. After that you'd have the image in as many
> languages as translation files exist.
>
>> Also, it is missing the update releases, which is an important item in
>> comparison to Ubuntu LTS or SLES wrt. hardware support and new media.
>
> Yep, where are those dates ? I would like to add them.

I got them from different release announcement from RHEL. The timeline BTW
is the RHEL timeline and not the CentOS timeline.

In fact if you would use the CentOS timeline then there would be gaps and
delays. This is something I tell during the presentation because the slide
is not just about CentOS. Much like the presentation is more about
Enerprise Linux than it is about CentOS.

>> BTW The RHEL6 release will not be before the second quarter of 2009,
>> possibly after Fedora 11. So as you can see that major releases have
>> been shifting from 1.5 years to 2 year and now past 2 years.
>>
>> At that pace 7 years may no longer constitute 4 releases. Unless Red Hat
>> will at some point in time push the support time to 8 years or more. In
>> itself not unthinkable if the company keeps growing.
>
> Guys, could you provide a table with CentOS Relsease/Update dates.
> Those that you would like to see in the graphical display ?

I don't have the list. I mapped them directly on the grid while I was
doing them. Google is your friend.