[CentOS-devel] slow Perl on CentOS 5

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 2 00:12:01 UTC 2008

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, David Hrb�c( wrote:
>> Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
>>> The C4 fasttrack repo is built in sync with upstream, there is no
>>> fasttrack on C5 ( go look at mirror.centos.org ).
>>> - KB
>> I know, C5 is empty for now. I expect to have fast(t)rack only RPMs here.
> Me too. I think a 'centosfix' repository with lower release numbers than
> the expected RH fix may be useful. Calling it centosfix also makes it
> obvious these are centos packages, and not RH rebuild packages.
> This 'centosfix' concept could be stretched to fix some other packages
> with known problems until upstream gets them fixed. And is a deliberate
> opt-in from users that need them (and understand the risks).

That seems moderately sensible, but it should be defined in the standard
Centos release files. As should testing and fasttrack.

> If there is a market for the slow-perl fix, and more of these packages
> would see the light of day, I would prefer a 'centosfix' repository over
> a mixed fast(t)rack repository. But only if we can deliver...

A first-run option to enable these repos (and maybe a system-config[1]
tool  to reconfigure available repos) would highlight the fact that
these repos exist.

[1] or maybe yum could be extended to list and change the state of repos.

-- spambait
1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
-- Advice

You cannot reply off-list:-)