[CentOS-devel] forums + portal for {lang}.centos.org sites

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 20:47:38 UTC 2008

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Dear Ned.

>>> I don't like the license :)
>>>
>> I don't like it either - that's why I raised it. Is it a show stopper
>> discounting SMF from further consideration or is it something we can still
>> work with (the license) and keep it on the shortlist? No point doing a lot
>> of ldap integration work or whatever to only find out down the line the
>> license isn't tolerable.
>
> I agree. This license makes it nealy impossible to use/distribute it.

I don't really see any restrictions on it's use, only it's distribution.
   I just don't particularly like the language per se.

>>> Why not here in this thread first?
>>>
>> Here is a summary of issues raised by forum users so far:
>>
>> *Major*
>> - Persistent logins (users currently have to re-login every 24h)
>> - The remember me, keep cookie for 1 year option looks broken (relates to
>> point 1 above and is presumably a xoops issue)
>> - View/jump to first unread post within thread feature
>> - Remember read/unread posts across multiple PCs/logins (per user, not per
>> machine)
>> - Ability for users to change/edit their registered email address.
>> - Better management of subscribed threads
>>
>> *Minor*
>> - Thank User button/feature
>> - Quick links feature
>
> I think phpBB addresses nearly all of these issues. It scales well and
> is GPL licensed. It also inculdes an easy update/patch management
> system which is really necessary in my pov.

Can you (or anyone) point me to any good examples of phpBB forum
deployments where I could register to get a feel for it's end-user
features/usability? (I'm already familiar with some SMF based forums and
it certainly meets end user requirements).