[CentOS-devel] options on voice conf calls

Manuel Wolfshant

wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Wed Sep 24 14:17:44 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> We had a bit of a struggle with Skype today trying to get a few people
>>> talking about some infrastructure issues. And I was wondering if anyone
>>> had recommendations on what other options there might be ?
>>>

> Although the problem really seems to have been on my side, I have some
> data loss somewhere between my home router and the next hop which then
> leads to static noise over ip instead of voice over ip.
>

>> Ohh. And skype is so a not standard protocol I would just love to make
>> it go away in favor of open standards.
>>

> Yes. The problem with skype is: It just works. No matter if your home
> router has a firewall or does NAT or whatever. It works.

    Trust me on this: it does not. I have several dozens of linux boxen
around, with all flavours of Centos 3, 4 and 5. Skype is my nightmare on
anything but the latest version of Centos. Leaving aside that becoming a
relay for others and having no control whatsoever over what is sent on
the wire scares the s**t out of me.