[CentOS-devel] C5 kernels

Wed Sep 3 01:53:55 UTC 2008
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

James Antill wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 08:52 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> I'm bothered by the differences in their sizes.
>> This list makes it easier to see relevant points:
>
>  As Akemi said there is more than just "one size" for an rpm, the UI
> value displayed is almost always "what the user wants to see" ... but it
> falls down if you try and compare installed and not-installed sizes
> using it.
>
>  If you want to know how to compare them, or what the different values
> mean I've tried to write it up so it's understandable:
>
> http://illiterat.livejournal.com/6439.html

Okay, I've downloaded the "short" kernel. It's filesize is (about) what
yum reported, when I interrogated the downloaded rpm with rpm its size
is more in line with the others:
[root at tpMail yum.repos.d]# rpm -qip
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.centos.plus.i686.rpm
Name        : kernel                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.6.18                            Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 92.1.10.el5.centos.plus       Build Date: Fri 08 Aug 2008
02:15:09 AM WST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: builder16.centos.org
Group       : System Environment/Kernel     Source RPM:
kernel-2.6.18-92.1.10.el5.centos.plus.src.rpm
Size        : 44636846                         License: GPLv2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 08 Aug 2008 05:47:19 AM WST, Key ID
a8a447dce8562897
URL         : http://www.kernel.org/
Summary     : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
Description :
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system:  memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.
[root at tpMail yum.repos.d]#

--

Cheers