[CentOS-devel] CentOS on the Asus Eeepc ...

Tue Sep 9 10:59:46 UTC 2008
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Niels de Vos wrote:
> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>>> Also, is this atl2 ko based on the one that I had built sometime back
>>> or is this from the 2.x version ? if so, is it stable enough to rebase
>>> onto  in the 2.6.18 code ?
>> It's still the v1 of the driver, so basically the same that you used ..
>> except that i rebuilt it from
>> http://repo.redhat-club.org/redhat/5/SRPMS/atl2-kmod-1.0.40.4-el5.rhc.1.src.rpm
>> We tried with Manuel Wolfshant to have the v2 driver built on 2.6.18 but
>> it didn't work (Manuel took contact with the devel guy but i think he
>> had still no answer )
>
> As discussed yesterday on #centos-devel, I've created a patch [1] for
> madwifi (based on a version from fedora 8 [2]).
>
> A src.rpm is available on my site [3]. Feel free to use the patch and/or
> src.rpm to provide support for an eeePC :)
>
> Cheers,
> Niels
>
> [1] http://www.nixpanic.net/software/patches/madwifi-ng-r2756_rhel52.patch?attredirects=0
> [2] http://tchung.fedorapeople.org/madwifi/ar2425/2.6.24.3-34.fc8/
> [3] http://www.nixpanic.net/software/packages/madwifi-0.2756.20071018-6.src.rpm?attredirects=0

Thanks Niels

I've rebuilt your madwifi patched SRPM and it works ok on the Eee PC ..
i still don't know what will be the official CentOS  way regarding that
.. but because madwifi contains 'non-free' stuff, it should be better if
that rpm would be available from a third-party repo, and not from centos
extras for example ...
What others think about that ? I'll wait for an official answer before
updating the wiki page and point to the madwifi rpms (madwifi and
madwifi module)

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>