[CentOS-devel] CentOS Directory Server (CDS) and more is available for testing

Thu Sep 25 23:54:25 UTC 2008
Brandon Davidson <brandond at uoregon.edu>

Jason Cox wrote:
> Enough said, legal issues. Like I said before, I am using the testing repo
> setup already. I just can not use something that is from a testing repo in
> my production environment. So I will wait. Thanks.

I am eagerly awaiting CDS's move out of Testing - like Jason, I don't feel
comfortable pointing production machines at the Testing repo, no matter how
stable the software might be.

I was also hoping to use the IPA stuff - if we could get that even in Testing
some time soon, I could at least start banging on it.

I have a bunch of in-house tools (mostly written in Perl) built on OpenLDAP
that could be ported to CDS... but I don't expect they'll be particularly easy
to support by anyone else besides me, so I'd like to move to CDS+IPA for my
user management... even if I just use it as a base, at least there's some
standard framework there instead of something totally one-off and confusing to
whoever comes after me.

There might also be some nice freebies down the road, once they get the audit
stuff up and running. Centralized auditing of user actions not built around
remote syslog would be fantastic.

-Brandon