[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 15:26:02 UTC 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:15 AM, David Hrbác( <hrbac.conf at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Jeff Johnson napsal(a):
>> And the answer was "Use mock." (which is what Farkas is using iirc).
>> Mock will populate the build system using build dependencies, no
>> "SRPMS list" involved.
>
> We do not understand each other. Have 3 SRPMS we want to build, how do
> we know the order? Quite easy to resolve. Have 3000 SRPMS...

Build dependencies tell the immediately adjacent prerequisites for
building a package. Install those immediate prerequsites (and
all of the other install prerequisites needed by the adjacent vertexes
in the build dependency graph).

That's the algorithm for determining how to build any
single package.

I don't know of anyone who has attempted to efficiently
order all builds, not just a single build. There's almost
loops involved, which need to be remedied by using an older
version of some prerequiste in order to build the newer version.

The process I outlined, with multiple passes across a list
of SRPMS, keeping track of the order of successes, will
generate the list you want for the next time you want
to build 3000 SRPMS.

73 de Jeff