[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:14:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Farkas Levente <lfarkas at lfarkas.org> wrote:

>>  I'm not sure what you are trying to ask/say here. Maybe you want to
>> know about yum-builddep in yum-utils? Why would you not want to use
>> mock?
>
> ask:
> how can i install all required package to buld X.src.rpm with yum/rpm?

This is basically exactly what mock does for you. It uses the
buildrequires listing in the spec of the src.rpm to install the
dependencies. There are some src.rpms that may not list all the
required packages, but they aren't that common.

> what i try to say currently there is no good spec file checking tool and
> there not forced any check on the used specfile. imho it'd be useful if
> all package would be checked before put into production, but there is no
> such thing currently.

How is this a centos issue? We have to deal with the src.rpms from
upstream in the same manner. If bugs are being inserted by centos
that's one thing. If they're the same as the upstream bugs, I don't
see a problem. Everything should be compatible, including the flaws.

George Orwell