[CentOS-devel] 5.3´s anaconda src.rpm missing

R P Herrold

herrold at centos.org
Wed Apr 8 22:18:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Les Mikesell wrote:

> R P Herrold wrote:
>>
>> My $0.02 .... I'd love to be shown a path to avoid the
>> problems on the 5.3 roll-out
>
> Do we know exactly what the problem is?

I listed some of them in what you trimmed, Les, -- mirror
bitflip frontrunning (inadvertent in one case we ran down),
iso leak (collateral damage from the first), some in the
thundering herd who should know better raising expectations
started a cascade outbreak of 'Latest and Greatest' disease;
no good deed goes unpunished, it seems

> That is, why does yum do something different after a 'yum
> clean all'?  Shouldn't it be trying all the mirrors anyway
> if it fails to get a file for any reason?  Otherwise, what's
> the point of having the list that generally screws up
> caching?

I do not see that yum failover is **not** working; indeed it
seems to be working just fine in my testing against a 'as
designed' "centos-release" package as we ship it.  The outcome
_I_ see when I hit 'centos.mirror.nac.net' is the failure, a
failover, and a success on a later listed peer.  The 127.0.0.2
workaround will permit you to test this as well (simulating a
dead mirrorlist entry); transparent proxies are out of our
control by definition.

I am not so interested in trying slow motion debug via mailing
list of what a person's setup is, and will (and do) read
bugs.centos.org for reports from people who file a formal
report

> I don't think the answer is to expect the repos to be perfect but rather
> to make the clients recover without intervention (and without killing
> the good repos too...).

patches to yum upstream are still welcome, I assume.  Feel
free to ask Seth, et al.

-- Russ herrold