[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

James Olin Oden

james.oden at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:32:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Olin Oden wrote:
>>
>> I think the salient points are:
>>
>>    * RedHat distros today don't self host.
>>    * Some customers desire that the distro could self host.
>>
>> Maybe the number of customers that desire this are too small to worry
>> about, versus the cost of meeting their perceived needs.  Maybe,
>> solving the problem is really hard.   None of that changes the above
>> two facts; it only places them in a context.
>
> Do you know how the other distributions handle this?  Obviously, gentoo
> was designed with end-user source rebuilds in mind and the *bsd's got it
> right eons ago, but what about debian, ubuntu, etc.

I've no idea how others do this.  I would likely have tools in place
to do source annalysis to figure out when most things need to be
rebuilt.  Also, after each package is built I would probably have a
build all happen just make sure things still build.  Only need the one
package, unless there is a problem with the build all.   Probably,
this view is too simplistic though.  Sadly, I only know that
self-hosting is important to me; I don't know how to get there.

...james