[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Farkas Levente

lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Tue Apr 28 21:19:02 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, James Olin Oden wrote:
>
>> Cheers...james
>>
>> P.S. Now I did bring up a premise that may not be true, which was that
>> the issue is not "Technical" but that it was a RedHat "Process"
>> problem.  If I'm wrong in that regard, then actually a solution is
>> achievable, and one might work on the problem, and not be a RedHat
>> employee.  I do agree that there are technical things one could do to
>> help solve the problem, but its seems to me that the main thing they
>> need is an automated rebuild of the world to detect if there is indeed
>> a problem with the build being self hostable.   I would guess RedHat
>> has this capability in their build system, and if they do, it would be
>> a decision to use it or not...which is a process issue.
>

> I'm not going to comment on red hat processes b/c I honestly don't know
> them and cannot answer for them. I do know a few things about
> Fedora's processes for completely rebuilding the distro and since some of
> the future rhel processes come out of the fedora processes I think looking
> at how a complete rebuild of fedora happens might be the most valuable.

the biggest problem it's not enough. ie. it's not enough to sometime do
a massrebuild (it's just happened because of gcc and rpm update), but
under normal circumstances we can't do a massrebuild for all new
packages (until we'll have so much computational power:-)
imho the current fedora process is also bad (ie. the same can happened
in fedora like in rhel with ifd-egate and pcsc-lite).

ps. i think i start a new thread on fedora-devel since it's nothing to
do with centos since the centos team can't do anything with upstream
problems.