[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Farkas Levente

lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Thu Apr 30 10:51:12 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> James Olin Oden wrote:
>> I think the salient points are:
>>
>>    * RedHat distros today don't self host.
>
> If you are refering to CentOS-2.1 or CentOS-3 I'd agree. But on CentOS-4
> and CentOS-5 that is simply not true. I guess you are using a small
> window onto what really is a distro to mean a snapshot in time.

yes. eg. i call centos-5.3 'a distro' which has an install iso.

> As I said before, CentOS exists and that should prove that the distro is
> self hosting in its entireity. There are pkgs with a .fc6. tag - but
> look at their builddates and times. They were built completely within
> the distro host. No fedora6 was used to build anything in centos-5.

as i start this thread i repeat myself again. this is nothing against
centos itself and neither the fault of the centos team nor you. what's
more i now start to understand why the 5.3 release takes so long and
understand why it's requires so much manual work to build the system and
start to respect the whole centos team much more.
i simple state rhel/centos 5.3 can't be rebuild on itself without
patching spec files and adding patches for a few files.
imho about 10-20% can't compile from this 10-20% most can be build with
small hacks and the remaining ~4% need extra work.