[CentOS-devel] centos-d] FYI: centos reproduceability

R P Herrold

herrold at centos.org
Thu Apr 30 16:36:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Farkas Levente wrote:

> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Farkas Levente wrote:
>>> i simple state rhel/centos 5.3 can't be rebuild on itself without
>>> patching spec files and adding patches for a few files.
>>
>> And yet it is.
>
> did you try it?
> show me your build log the rebuild of ifd-egate-0.05-15.i386.rpm:-)

Farkas, you win -- congratulations.

ifd-egate-0.05-15.src.rpm does not currently build on a native
5.3 fully updated; it formerly built under an earlier GCC
variant in the centos-5 series.  As such there has been a
minor API change in what the gcc environment in question is
accepting.

If you want to know just which, step through all intermediate
phases; the date on the binary file that IS in our archive
tells you when to stop stepping forward through point releases
and updates

ifd-egate-0.05-17.src.rpm addreses this, builds on Centos 5.3
current, and you may diff as you wish

[herrold at centos-5 ifd-gate]$ rpm -qip \
 	/home/herrold/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/ifd-egate-0.05-17.x86_64.rpm
Name        : ifd-egate                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.05                              Vendor: orc
Release     : 17                            Build Date: Thu 30 Apr 2009 12:34:00 PM EDT
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: centos-5.first.lan
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM: ifd-egate-0.05-17.src.rpm
Size        : 44909                            License: BSD/LGPL
Signature   : (none)
URL         : http://secure.netroedge.com/~phil/egate/
Summary     : Axalto Egate SmartCard device driver for PCSC-lite
Description :
The Axalto Egate device driver enables PCSC-lite to
communicate with Axalto Egate cards, which CoolKey is based
off of.
[herrold at centos-5 ifd-gate]$

If you wish for me to research why, please contact me for a
support contract, and I will research it, and file it upstream
as 'regression' -- for more funds I'll even buy a licensed
copy of RHEL, so I may open a CMS case;  for even more funds,
I'll buy enough mass that RedHat Rel Eng decides they want to
fix it (note this may require buying the entire company's
outstanding coommon stoc and will not be inexpensivek).

Is there a point to this pedantry?

-- Russ herrold