[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Tue Apr 28 18:19:44 UTC 2009
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, James Olin Oden wrote:

> Your spending a lot of time defending the status quo, but your not
> really answering an honest complaint.

What you see as a defense, I saw as an explanation to why it is the way it
is. I think nobody argues that it is great the way it is. Especially
within the CentOS project because it hurts our effort too.

> I've spent a lot of time servicing customers, and when they complain to
> you, they really don't care about explanations that don't try to help
> them with their immediate problem.

I am not disagreeing with you at all, but I don't see any solution from
you either.

CentOS does not have customers, and nothing should hold you back to
implement a solution and offer it to Red Hat. CentOS can even help
you with the resources if you want to make a CentOS project out of it.
(Although it probably makes more sense as a Fedora or Red Hat project)

But at the moment this is yet another task that requires people's time
and I am not sure if we want to dedicate existing CentOS people to such a
project if it has an impact on more important deliverables.

The question really is: are you willing to be part of the solution ?

I'd say we need more people to take action, and less people to argue :)

If nobody stands up to fix this, we might see it as a sign that nobody
thinks it is important (enough).

Kind regards,