[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Tue Apr 28 20:50:43 UTC 2009
Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, James Olin Oden wrote:

> Yes.
>
> Now along this sortid trail of email messages, there was mention that
> some packages no longer build with the current compilers.   Is that
> not the case, or was that a mis-statement?
>
> Because, it sounds Fedora at this point is self-hosting by that
> description, and if RedHat follows that practice it too will be self
> hosting.

I do not know for rhel5. I'm not involved in building rhel5 so I can't
tell you one way or the other about that.

I know that we completed a bump and rebuild in fedora 11/rawhide as of feb
25 2009. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Mass_Rebuild

And unless I'm missing something it is correct that fedora 11/rawhide is
self hosting.

All of the processes and programs that fedora uses to build its distro are
public and available. There are a number of secondary architectures now
which are rebuilding from scratch. Two that come to mind are arm and
sparc.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't tell you much about rhel, I just
don't have any firsthand experience in how the internal build process
works.

-sv