[CentOS-devel] FYI: centos reproduceability

Wed Apr 29 00:09:59 UTC 2009
James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com>

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> James Olin Oden wrote:
>> I think the salient points are:
>>
>>    * RedHat distros today don't self host.
>
> If you are refering to CentOS-2.1 or CentOS-3 I'd agree. But on CentOS-4
> and CentOS-5 that is simply not true. I guess you are using a small
> window onto what really is a distro to mean a snapshot in time.
>
> As I said before, CentOS exists and that should prove that the distro is
> self hosting in its entireity. There are pkgs with a .fc6. tag - but
> look at their builddates and times. They were built completely within
> the distro host. No fedora6 was used to build anything in centos-5.

Please, kindly and graciously note that I was not the original poster
to this conversation, but only joined after someone "confirmed" that
RHEL 5 at the moment  (not CentOS) was not self hosting by stating
that though that is the unfortunate state of affairs, there are so
many reasons why its this way.  If its self hosting great.  If its not
I'm concerned...but that really really wasn't my point.

...james