[CentOS-devel] functional testing as a contrib requirement

Ross Walker

rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:35:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Marcus Moeller<mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> Dear Karan,
>
>> As a part of the contrib acceptance process, can we spread the load a
>> bit by saying that anyone who wants to submit a package, must also find
>> someone else ( other than their sponsor ) to write a set of acceptance
>> tests[1] for their package.
>
> A process like this could easily be handled through package reviews
> via bucktracker. Maybe there is need of adding a 'review request'
> category.
>
> A review could then contain a 'quality check' of the spec file
> (perhaps with Fedora Package Guidelines/rpmlint in mind), followed  by
> a review of provided paches and a rebuild with 'acceptance test'.

Of course there will be formal testing done from the testing repo
before it makes it into stable.

I think a posting of the spec and it's patches for peer verification
and review some place, and have the sponsor verify the source package
is legit and that should be enough. Once the spec and patches are
verified and final versions agreed upon then they can be pulled right
from there to be used in the build process. This should keep
everything very transparent, and if someone wants to know what spec
and patches were used in building a package they can check out the
web-based package review system (PRS).

If bugtracker works, then great, otherwise some other type of
web-based system with adequate authentication, version control,
approvals, etc.

Maybe a separate wiki type server? Maybe somebody has a better idea?

There's nothing now, so we can think outside the box a little.

Maybe we can have the PRS track packages from
submission->testing->stable, so we can see who submitted, who
sponsored, who approved, when it went into testing, who signed off on
the testing before it reached enough sign-offs for it to make it to
stable and so on along with the original source spec, patches and any
updates to those.

Does such a beast exist?

-Ross