[CentOS-devel] Links our Mantis to upstreams' Bugzilla - a idea for the community to help with

Fri Aug 28 20:50:55 UTC 2009
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

Hi,

I would like the send out the mail below to centos-devel (probably,
seems the best place). The idea is that when we need to monitor a
upstream bug we could just enter the upstream bugzilla number into
mantis and that from then on any updates made in the bugzilla report
would also be added to our bugreport. That makes it much easier to
track upstream bugreports. I've googled around and I could not find
anything that already does such a thing. Here is the mail :

Hello,

We have a project for which we are could use some help. Its about
creating a link between our Mantis bugtracker (bugs.centos.org) and
upstreams Bugzilla (bugzilla.redhat.com). At the moment we need to
manually track all upstreams bugs reported in our own bugtracker. This
is a time-consuming process and it something that can be automated. So
why not do it.

My idea was to create a daemon of some sort that at regular intervals
checks all bugs in our systems that have a upstream bugzilla number
entered (Mantis support customs fields that could be used for this).
If there is a update in the bugzilla since the last run it is copied
into the bug in Mantis. That why we can get notified automatically and
can react to the updates more quickly and spend less time needing to
follow up.

Well, this is just my idea on how to implement it. If there are others
suggestions, please let me know. Also, I've googled to find if
something like this already existed but I could not find anything.

So, who has some scripting experience (the language doesn't matter)
that wants to have a go at this ?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)