[CentOS-devel] why is the addons repo empty?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Dec 22 11:45:00 UTC 2009

On 12/22/2009 11:37 AM, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> today I noticed that yum-priorities is not anymore in the base distribution -
> a fact that seems to be well documented. However the yum-utils src rpm still
> builds that package.

This is an issue I hope to have fixed in the next few days ( well,
before the end of this year anyway! ). We have a tree-compose script
breakdown ( as in me fat fingering it ) at 5.4 release time, which meant
a few yum-utils subpackages were left out.

These packages are not included in the distro upstream.

> Therefore I was wondering why yum-priorities is available in extras and not in
> addons.

Because of the above mentioned issue.

>   >  addons
>> Contains packages required in order to build the main Distribution or
>> packages produced by SRPMS built in the main Distribution, but not included
>> in the main Red Hat package tree (mysql-server in CentOS-3.x falls into
>> this category). Packages contained in the addons repository should be
>> considered essentially a part of the core distribution, but may not be in
>> the main Red Hat Package tree.
>
> However the addons repo is completely empty for CentOS 5.4. Does that mean
> addons is deprecated?

for x86_64 and i386, yes its not used at all.

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh