[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.3 ETA?

R P Herrold

herrold at centos.org
Mon Feb 16 19:55:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

> There are several people with relevant experience around,
> some of them being for quite sometime involved in the
> project. I am sure that a cry for help will not get
> unnoticed, would such a need arise :)

There is a fine line the project walks between the various
roles which members of the core CentOS team assume over time.

As it happens this time (although the binaries were reported
as built), they did not get staged and spun where the
remaining folks with admin rights could take the next steps
needed for some QA and release of testing ISOs as we had
planned and blocked out.

It happened.  In polling the other members not absent last
week, I think we are of a mind that we will not take steps to
compound one delay with a workaround which may impair the
value of work already done by a temporarily absent team member
-- more than a mere duplication of the build effort is at
issue here [easy enough with one off local 'leaf' updates, and
really not that hard in more the general case; just laborious
-- also the solution paths taken can introduce differing items
to bugfix for a general release].  I am loathe to possibly
break that absent member's workflow.

We are aware of the delay, and will take some steps at
improving the chokepoints identified this go round, just as we
do after every point release.

I wish I had an exact date to offer for a final release, and
it may be that we decide to expose a 'rough edges' archive for
those who 'cannot wait' to pick and choose updates from.  As I
understand it, some information we need to talk through such
an alternative in the update process 1s supposed to surface
later this week

-- Russ herrold