[CentOS-devel] CentOS/RHEL 5.3

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 21 15:59:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 15:19 +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Feel surprised to find in the RHEL 5.3 release notes the following
> statement:
>
> ----
> While anaconda's "upgrade" option will perform an upgrade from
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 or 5.2 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> 5.3, there is no guarantee that the upgrade will preserve all
> of a system's settings, services, and custom configurations.
> For this reason, Red Hat recommends that you perform a fresh
> installation rather than an upgrade.
> ----
>
> So they are advising to reinstall RHEL 5.3 even when you're running RHEL
> 5.2.

 *speaking _for me / as me_, as always, etc.*

 I don't see the above text in the release notes, but what I do see is
the top section of:

https://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Installation_Related_Notes.html

...which implies (to me) that the text you quoted is saying something
like "although a 4.7 => 5.3 upgrade has the same UI as 5.2 => 5.3, you
shouldn't expect it to work as well in all cases".

 And, of course, that's all anaconda specific ... going 5.2 => 5.3 via.
"yum update" is expected to just work.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora