[CentOS-devel] Help offer on Sparc front

Fri Jan 9 05:00:31 UTC 2009
Didi Hoffmann <ribalba at gmail.com>

On 8 Jan 2009, at 17:52, Christoph Maser wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 07.08.2008, 14:58 +0200 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
>> see:
>>
>> http://sparc.centos.org/
>>
>> That is very alpha and based on centos 5.1 code base.
>>
>> If you can figure out why most GUI things fail that would be great :D
>>
>> I am working on getting the 5.2 items done now
>>

> I started working on sparc builds. Somehow i hardly can't build
> anything. Even though i use --target=sparc some builds
> require /lib64/libc.so.6. Is there any special gcc/glibc setup you
> used
> for building?

Have you thought about bootstrapping the process. You could use an
linux distro that supports sparc and then build the binaries there.
Once you have a working system you can compile everything again to
eliminate the dependencies on the host system.

I suppose a chroot would be enough to get something decent quite
quickly.

I have always found it very hard to cross compile .

Cheers Didi