[CentOS-devel] R: Libraries not stripped in rebuilt rpms andlarger packages

Luigi Iotti centos1 at iotti.biz
Thu Jul 9 07:38:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:35, Luigi Iotti<centos1 at iotti.biz> wrote:
> > I usually rebuild some CentOS rpm packges with some changes I need.
> > I noticed that I obtain slightly larger packages than the
> ones found in the
> > centOS distribution, even if I rebuild a source rpm without changing
> > anything.
> > I looked in it, and it turned out that my shared libraries
> are not stripped,
> > where the ones found in your packages are.
>
> If you install the "redhat-rpm-config" package the binaries/libraries
> will be stripped and the stripped debug information will be put on a
> "-debuginfo" RPM, this will be done automatically for you. I suggest
> you install that RPM instead of modifying /etc/rpm/macros on your own.

Thank you Filipe and Dag for your answers.
I already have installed the redhat-rpm-config package, but nonetheless you
suggested the right solution: I disabled the -debuginfo package creation via
%debug_package %{nil}. I did not think that il was the macro creating the
"-debug" package that strips the libraries.

Thanks
Luigi