[CentOS-devel] yum-3.2.8 for Centos 4 backport, part II.

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:16:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Seth Vidal<skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> Just a question as to what you are shotting for here - given that
>> CentOS-4 has yum-2.4, which is by far the best yum yet ( it actually
>> does what it says on the tin ).  Might not be the fastest version, but
>> at least it gets the depsolving right.
>
> How does 3.2.X not get the depsolving right?
>
> -sv

I know of at least one issue with yum in CentOS-5. If I try to build
grub in mock, I get:

No Package Found for /usr/lib/crt1.o
0:binutils-2.17.50.0.6-9.el5.x86_64
0:ncurses-devel-5.5-24.20060715.x86_64

Cannot find build req  /usr/lib/crt1.o. Exiting.

Johnny Hughes explained the reason for the failure in his CentOS Forum
post on 2008/02/09:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12491&forum=38&post_id=41509#forumpost41509

Excerpt:
There is a known bug in the yum that ships with centos-5 (and rhel-5)
... version 3.0.x ... where BuildRequires that are in the form of
BuildRequires: <file_path> do not work.

This bug will take any file, the first one it finds actually, and use
it to meet the build requirement ... not the one specified by the full
path.

SO ... in this case the problem is that the grub spec file has this
line for the x86_64 package build:

BuildRequires: automake /usr/lib/crt1.o

The problem is that what needs to be installed is glibc-devel.i386 ...
however a different package meets that require due to the bug, and the
build fails (if using mock and centos-5 as the base). If you use
centos-4 as the base os and setup mock to build centos-5 packages on
that machine, then this package will build via mock.

This still happens with the current yum-3.2.19-18.el5.centos.noarch
(and mock-0.6.13-1.el5_2.3.x86_64) in CentOS-5.

Akemi