[CentOS-devel] CentOS-devel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR

teners at bh90210.net
Sun Jun 7 21:53:34 UTC 2009

On 6/7/09 9:00 AM, "centos-devel-request at centos.org"
<centos-devel-request at centos.org> wrote:

> [...clippage...]

> On 06/06/2009 12:48 AM, IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR wrote:
>> CentOS Users/Developers:
>>
>>      It interests me to find out if and or when any such CentOS 5 for
>> z/system will be forthcoming?
>
> soon, we've got some real iron access as well now!

Outstanding!

>>      I use Hercules and would love to play with CentOS under z/system via the
>> Hercules emulator. Funny how my personal mainframe has an "Apple" on it, and
>> is 17" in size, ay? :)
>
> Pasi can perhaps give you more details on this, but afaik, C5 does not
> work with hercules. There were some bugs that were being chased down
> about 2 years back, but i dont *think* anything has come from it yet.

Out of curiosity, would those be bugs be ala CentOS or ala Hercules?

IMHO the entire idea of "z/CentOS 5.3" faces serious devaluation if z/CentOS
is unable to IPL within a "Hercules Iron" environment. After all it is for
the most part those that have neither access to real iron, nor the licensed
and supported variants of RHEL 5.3 that are interested in CentOS or that
have no need for the level of support provisioned by an RHEL contract.

In the case of z/systems, this would likely impel one to believe that the
very same populous of users are monetarily challenged to obtaining the very
bare iron needed to leverage "z/CentOS" thus leaving them with the Herculean
option for their foray into z/Linux.

Now, if the dysfunctional state of "z/CentOS 5.x" within Hercules is not
CentOS centric, but Hercules centric, then the issue must be raised in the
Hercules development community to compel its resolution. I know a lot of the
folks within that community, I would think their attentiveness to such an
issue would forbear a most accurate and expeditious extirpation of the
offending bug once noticed to its existence.

--

Very Respectfully,

IT2 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR
Las Vegas, NV / Beverly Hills, CA / Philadelphia, PA / Washington, DC
Amateur Radio Call Sign: N3GWG (Extra) / Marine Radio Operator Permit (MROP)
email: teners at bh90210.net (also carbon copies to my Blackberry)
phone: +(1) 310.358.0202 (Beverly Hills, CA, forwards to mobile phone)
phone: +(1) 215.338.6005 (Philadelphia, PA, voice mail only)
E-Fax: +(1) 928.437.4505 (Telecopier, fax to email gateway)

Military emails (checked monthly until remote NMCI access is secured)
NIPRNET: stuart.tener at navy.mil
NIPRNET: stuart.b.tener at us.army.mil
NRO:     teners at nro.mil
TS/SCI:  tenerstu at nro.ic.gov (GWAN)

and/or privileged information, though strictly at the UNCLASSIFIED level.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the originate message.