[CentOS-devel] yum-3.2.8-9 CentOS 4 backport - Call for QA

David Hrbáč hrbac.conf at seznam.cz
Wed Mar 4 09:41:00 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh napsal(a):
> Having said that while the main distro yum wont move from 2.4.x - these
> might make for a good centosplus addition in c4. I'm guessing most of
> your porting work was to adapt to the older python and the slightly
> different rpm on c4, How much of that could be pushed back upstream ?

Well, this is something that is definitely not meant to be included in
the main tree. Even if we polish yum-3.2.8 to run on C4 we are not able
to prepare smooth yum update process. Problem is with older plugins from
yum-utils, we have problem with sqlite:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 183, in main
    base.doTransaction()
  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 336, in doTransaction
    problems = self.downloadPkgs(downloadpkgs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 909, in
downloadPkgs
    cache=po.repo.http_caching != 'none',
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py", line 645, in
getPackage
    basepath = package.basepath
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 118,
in __getattr__
    (self.pkgId,))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/yum/sqlutils.py", line 148, in
executeSQLPyFormat
    return cursor.execute(q, p)
  File
"/var/tmp/python-sqlite-root//usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/sqlite/main.py",
line 255, in execute
_sqlite.DatabaseError: no such column: location_base

This is running yum first time after update. 'yum clean all' resolves.

Etc. To sum it up, yes I guess we'll work the issues out and can think
about including into CentOS Plus, maybe, but I do not see what to push
upstream. What upstream do you mean? Yum or RH? I guess both of them
don’t bother yum running on RHEL 4. :o)

I was too surprised how easy it was for me to run 3.2.8 that I had to
publish. I'm not pushing on including, I just thought it might be
interesting to share.

I'd like to move further and take look at yum-updatesd and dbus
communication to work on C4. I like the idea of having better (faster)
yum on C4 and also enable dbus events on available updates, having C4/5
running the very same peace of sw. Finally we can use it for central
updates managing. Cacti plugin, etc.
Regards,
David Hrbáč