[CentOS-devel] Postgresql RPMS in testing

Michael Hall mick at mjhall.org
Sat Mar 14 12:00:24 UTC 2009

I know everyone is probably flat out with 5.3 at the moment, but this is some feedback on the Postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing.

I've been struggling to install the httpd 2.2.8, php 5.2.6 and postgresql 8.2.9 RPMS in testing on a minimal CentOS 5.2 due to issues with libpq and apr-utils. I put these packages into a custom repo, assigned then to a custom group in comps.xml, and am working with kickstart.

Anyway, it appears apr-util is a dependency of httpd. apr-util in turn depends on libpq.so.4, provided by postgresql-libs.

The postgresql-libs 8.2.9 package installs libpq.so.5, so things go belly up and won't install (no apr-utils, therefore no httpd, therefore no php).

If however I install the compat-postgresql-libs package from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.3/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/repoview/applications.databases.group.html,
installation of all packages proceeds. This package obviously reconciles the lippq.so.4/libpq.so.5 conflict.

So maybe something like this package is needed in testing?

Thanks, hope the feedback proves useful,

Mick