[CentOS-devel] freeradius-2.1.3 spec

Niels de Vos niels.devos at wincor-nixdorf.com
Mon Mar 30 13:39:42 UTC 2009

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
>
>>> That isn't true for FC4 either. Its been almost a decade
>>> since requires and prereq are handled identically.
>> I'm not convinced on this point :-/ Pretty sure there is a difference
>> when installing only two RPMs with changed Requires/PreReq. However
>> I checked with rpm, not yum?! (yes, without loops)
>>

> So shop a different answer if you wish. I'm just the guy
> who wrote the code in RPM and who tries to explain how to fix
> packaging problems. If you don't like or believe my answers, by all
> means, shop elsewhere.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for you advise and explanations.

It's just that I've checked behavior of Requires/PreReq a long time ago
with FC4 and am surprised to see that my assumptions are (completely)
wrong...

>>> Otherwise, adding an additional dependency (use Requires: or
>>> PreReq: to
>>> taste, they are synonyms) will change package install (but not erase,
>>> that's a different problem) ordering.
>> Ok. Thanks for explaining :)
>
> Hint: there is almost certainly a dependency loop
> because you are trying to use an executable in a
> %pre script in the *-libs package that has not yet
> been installed.
>
> So the library package needs to be installed before
> the executable you are trying to use in a %pre script.

The original question as about creating a user/group as owner of some
files in the libs-package. The creation was done by %pre in the
base-package. Installing the -libs works, but gives errors about the
missing user/group.

A missing binary or library is obviously not the case here.

> That basically means that you cannot do what you are
> attempting in the *-libs %pre script.
>
> Which then turns the question into
> 	How do I do <mumble> if I can't use a %pre script
> 	in a *-libs package?

My conclusion:
	Put the creation of users/groups in the <package>-libs,
	<package> will be installed after <package>-libs.

Thanks,
Niels (who is still a bit confused)