[CentOS-devel] CentOS-Sparc - New 'Fedora Secondary' Discovery

d b spooker321 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:56:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Worsham, Michael <
michael.worsham at morris.com> wrote:

> This report/issue is geared to those attempting to find a CentOS/RH for
> Sparc.

I have recently installed the Sparc Beta EL5 build. I have a pair of
Ultra80's to
play with here...Granted Im new to the Sparc side but so far its not too
much different
from x86 just minor differences/quirks with a few SRPMS .

> Currently, there is a slowdown to the development of CentOS for the
> Sparc platform. The current tftp64.img build for CentOS on Sparc does
> not have support for the low-cost Netra and Sunfire 1U servers, thus
> hinders any chance of this distro release being used for cheap hardware
> re-provisioning needs (i.e. basic web servers, database servers, etc).

I would like to contribute to this development of CentOS for Sparc.
I asked last week looking for SRPMS to the beta build at
http://sparc.centos.org/os/ . Ive had luck using the --changelog and finding
the changes off the corona aurora builds or the SPARC Fedora Builds.

Do you know what support is missing? Just curious.

Im guessing this is you
See below....

> Upon doing a bit of in-depth research, I did discover that Ubuntu did
> release a Sparc build under their v7.10 distro, which supports many
> older as well as new Sparc-based platforms including the low-cost Netra
> and Sunfire 1U servers. These special servers require the 'eri' driver
> commonly called the SunGEM driver.
Im wondering if there is some other issue.. I see the sungem is included in
This is the default sparc64 kernel..

ls -la /lib/modules/2.6.18-53.c5sparc/kernel/drivers/net/sungem*
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 48576 Mar 10  2008
-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 20888 Mar 10  2008

And this is driver on the bootiso....

strings sungem.ko | egrep "sungem.c|vermagic"
vermagic=2.6.18-53.c5sparc SMP mod_unload gcc-4.1
sungem.c:v0.98 8/24/03 David S. Miller (davem at redhat.com)