[CentOS-devel] An introduction and a s390 effort

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer

sascha at spreitzer.name
Mon Mar 23 20:46:58 UTC 2009

Hello John,

i managed to get centos 4 running on herkules -> http://z.relinked.org/
I used to work some weeks with z9 machines, but not from the linux perpective.
In april I will start in a new position where I have access to z9 and
z10 machines as well being part of the z/Linux team.
I hope I can bring in the skills I learn from z/Linux.

In the background I used to work several years as a RedHat EL engineer
and IBM AIX administrator.

Lets get things started. ;)

regards,
Sascha

2009/3/18 John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>:
> Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>> Hello contributors and OSS friends,
>>
>> (Who am I?)
>> My name is Sascha Thomas Spreitzer and I live in the eastern outback
>> of Munich in Bavaria Germany.
>> I am 23 years old and started with C and GNU Linux in the early age of 13.
>>
>> (What am I doing?)
>> Most time I spend in the office fixing Unix dependant problems. Since
>> now at Germanys biggest stock broker "Baader Bank".
>> In future (starting first of April) ill design and realize AIX and
>> z/Linux environments for the government insurance sector.
>> If I'm not in the office, I go out with my girlfriend Lisa and we
>> enjoy the little time we have together.
>> I used to do traditional Shotokan Karate in JKA style. But stopped it
>> a year ago, because I had no time left to do it.
>> In holidays I try to gain progress with my software development skills.
>>
>> (Why centos and what I'm up to?)
>> I had a chance to get a look at IBM's z/Series in the past and it
>> arouse my interest. Some years passed and now I have to face z/Linux
>> in my new position.
>>>From the skills I gained in the past and the skills i'll gain in
>> future, I want to contribute back to the community.
>
> Since you mention IBM's mainframes, I assume you want to work in that
> sort of environment.
>
> CentOS4 is available for zSeries, CentOS5 is not. If you want to try
> porting CentOS5 to zSeries, there have been at least two others. If you
> search the CentOS list's archives you should be able to find them and
> see where they're up to.
>
> If you want your own personal mainframe, but without the expense,
> download Hercules. It's capable of emulating IBM System/360 computers
> and their descendants right up to the zSeries. Hercules hosted on a good
> multi-core PC running CentOS or Fedora should do a pretty good job of
> running it.
>
> I used to work with these:
> http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_PP3168.html
> One of the cute features of the "New optional 3068 Multisystem
> Communication Unit to link two of the new Model 168s for a tightly
> coupled multiprocessing system of up to 16 megabytes of processor
> storage." was the ability to decouple the two CPUs and turn one computer
> into two, without restarting the operating system.
>
> They used to run OS/VS2 MVS: MVS running in Hercules on a Pentium II is
> probably faster!
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu  Z1aaaaaaa at coco.merseine.nu
> -- Advice
> http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> You cannot reply off-list:-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
http://spreitzer.name/