[CentOS-devel] RPM of BrOffice.org

Thiago Avelino

thiagoavelinoster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:53:36 UTC 2009

Because OpenOffice.org is called BrOffice.org in Brazil?
At the end of 2004 due to problems with the make Open Office,
previously registered by a company in Rio de Janeiro, it was necessary
to change the community name and the product. Thus, the project led to
the project OpenOffice.org.br BrOffice.org.

On January 25, 2006, was officially announced the launch of the NGO
BrOffice.org now organize community activities OpenOffice.org.br.
Despite the change of name, BrOffice.org continued representing the
international OpenOffice.org project, with the guarantee of all legal
instruments to protect brand BrOffice.org.

By: http://www.broffice.org/faq_principal

2009/3/25 Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 07:11:21AM -0300, Thiago Avelino wrote:
>> Morning staff, here in Brazil we can not be using OpenOffice.org
>> because of trademarks and patents, I am sending the mirror of
>> BrOffice.org that in the mirror of the CentOS-BR.org
>
> Eh? What are you talking about? What patents are violated by OpenOffice,
> that wouldn't be violated by using a fork?
>
> There's nothing preventing you to release your own spin with
> BrOffice.org instead of OpenOffice.
>
> OOo 3.0 has support for rebranding, according to this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BrOffice.orgSpin
>
> Maybe when RHEL is released with OOo 3.x, the same can be done?
>
> Regards,
> Luciano Rocha
>
> --
> lfr
> 0/0

att.

Thiago Avelino
Programador | SysAdmin
Linux User: #484673
Asterisk User: #63483
Digium User: D1039273
São Paulo - SP / Brasil
www.avelino.us | www.centos-br.org

Linkedin | linkedin.com/in/thiagoavelinoster
Twitter | twitter.com/thiagoavelinost
JustinTV | justin.tv/thiagoavelino