[CentOS-devel] Windows Server 2008 guest on KVM

Tue Mar 24 12:19:22 UTC 2009
Julian Price <centos.org at jul17pri.co.uk>

Windows Server 2008 does not run on the KVM version (36) in the CentOS
repository.  W2008 is the current version of Windows Server and not a
Beta any more, so increasing numbers of people will be attempting to
install CentOS+KVM+W2008, and running into difficulties.

KVM version 72 is required for W2008 according to this:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status

What needs to happen to get KVM-72 or later into a repository?

There is a very good KVM HowTo...
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM
...but it does not explain how to install a version that will run W2008.

I have documented a solution in this forum post...
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19034&forum=38
...but it relies on unofficial RPMs from www.lfarkas.org.  Is it OK to
put that advice in a HowTo?

It took me days of research, recompiling kernels and packages etc to get
CentOS+KVM+W2008 working.  I'm not complaining, it was fun, but I'm
concerned that other people are just giving up and switching to Xen or
Debian e.g.
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=5606587#post5606587
...and it would not take much to keep them on-board.

Thanks,
Julian Price