[CentOS-devel] LiveCD development

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Fri May 1 19:08:08 UTC 2009

Hi Dag,

>> Concerning the Live-CD, I would suggest to offer a stable version that
>> reflects the CentOS release with all dis-advantages it may have (not
>> installable, e.g.)
>
> So it becomes effectively useless for everyone with a netbook/laptop and
> needs wireless ? I cannot use the LiveCD unless I somehow transfer the
> firmware (or remake the LiveCD), you loose users, hurt the project.

I am not sure if missing netbook support leads in loosing our audience.

> Upstream doesn't have a LiveCD, so I don't see a good point in maintaining
> the same hardware support in that respect. It only hurts the LiveCD
> effort. (Same for additional drivers for netbooks/laptops/desktops)
>
> What's even more, upstream does have wireless firmware in their addon
> repository, so in effect we are not offering the same as they are offering
> to customers.

There is nothing wrong in including (compatible) upstream resources,
if it's useful and this is what Patrice is already doing afaik.

I have also noticed that there are also some basic remaster
instructions available on the project page.

Best Regards
Marcus