[CentOS-devel] LiveCD development

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 6 13:10:13 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> What are the various goals of the LiveCD project ?
>
> Rather than goals, can we narrow it down to 'use cases'. I think there
> is only one goal - to build either one or many livecd's based on and
> around the CentOS distro. If we focus on use-case, it allows wider and
> more elaboate cases to come in, and we can then look at mechanisms to
> solve those issues in some sort of a priority order.
>
> Perhaps I am being pedantic, but it will help in the long run.

If you make the rebuilding mechanism a priority so anyone can easily
build a custom bootable iso (cd or dvd) or usb device, the version you
start with or other use cases won't matter that much.

Are there any existing tools that can generically move a system back and
forth from a running install (perhaps a virtual machine) to a usb device
  with support for booting on different hardware, or to a bootable iso
image?  Or, perhaps even more generic: is there a tool to move an
existing installed system to different hardware?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com