[CentOS-devel] Updates push / announcements automation

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Thu May 7 08:54:57 UTC 2009

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > I've already factored in RSS feeds per repo, but is there anything else
> > that could / should / would make sense in the actual emails that get
> > sent out ? I know changelog has been something that people have
> > mentioned in the past, is that still something that might be
> > good-to-have / must-have in the announcement emails ?
> >
> +1 for good  to have. or at least an URL rather then just the ID of
> upstream's bug

Is that for security updates? I'm not sure what you exactly mean - the
announce mails do have URLs for the RHN errata, don't they?

> > Also, for CentOS-4, only security updates are normally announced. What
> > do people feel about changing that so that all updates are announced,
> > including SA / BA / EA and CentOS specific bugfix's ?
> >
> +1 for including all

Yes, same here. It doesn't happen too often, but from time to time
people wonder about quiet updates (especially when/if core components
are silently updated).

> > Finally, and this is the big question that *will* impact a lot of people
> > and specially those with automation - what do people think about
> > combined update announcements for all Arch's in a single email like what
> > happens upstream ? C2.1/C3/C4 will be hard to get into this process
> > since the arch specific builders dont stay in sync, but for C5, with the
> > ia64/ppc and s390 now pretty much online with the i386 and x86_64 its
> > something that we *could* potentially target.
>
> +1 for single mail for all arch, when possible. At least for me there is
> no benefit in separate mails.

Same here. Not all people find out how to filter the mails they get via
mailman :)

Won't work for 4 and 3, as Karanbir said, as those packages are built
separately.

Ralph