[CentOS-devel] Web Environment Design

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Fri May 29 18:43:31 UTC 2009

Marcus Moeller wrote:
> We are going to set up test environments for all of these components. LDAP
> backend is already available and usable.

We have 35k forum users, 4.5k bugs.centos.org "users" and 3076(!) wiki users
(most of them probably accounts registered by spammers). That's going to be
fun :)

> Forum migration is 80% done. Some other components (e.g. mailman) are
> already ported to the new look.

Well, at least we don't have to migrate the several thousand ML users to LDAP
:)

> One major decision is if we can rely on a already existing CMS system
> or if it's bloated and we just need a simple backend to edit the news
> page.

Yupp. This is something which needs to be decided rather soonish.

> Also User Management has to been set up on custom code base, as
> there are no real good web based solutions that fulfill our needs.

That is another problem: Everything wants to have its own user database,
I don't see any trend in OpenSource software to unify this.

Just pointing out things,

Ralph