[CentOS-devel] Lang subsites/ portals

Cleber Souza cleber.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 00:55:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The meeting last evening was mostly fruitful. There were 4 major points
> that came through:
>
> 1) Do we want the language specific content to go in as
> <lang>.centos.org with forums and a small portal behind each one of
> those ( like fr.centos.org ) - or is it more userfriendly to have the
> resources abstracted out and each language specific content being marked
> in different namespace from the english content - eg. wiki.centos.org
> and wiki.centos.org/es . This would imply a forums.centos.org comes up
> and the spanish specific content is held at forums.centos.org/es
>
> 2) A unified login setup is considered fairly high value, so one
> username/password would work across all the various *.centos.org sites.
> There are a few different ways to achieve this, however only when the
> user facing decisions are made will we look into this so as to not waste
> time with options that are not usable or will not be usable in the final
> setup.

1 and 2 are easily done using Drupal.
I think that either options have their benefits and we are used to
encounter both scenarios in a dozen of websites over there.

For users that know the direct site, they will remember the direct
link to the language specify website. For others, the entry point will
be www.centos.org that will have a list of language specific websites
or even could redirect the user to the properly website based on
users' web browser language settings. For the last option, should be
default to all language specific websites have a drop-down list
containing all language specific websites available.

> 3) We want to ideally only have one instance of any bit of software, and
> have that support the languages natively. If there isnt any support for
> multiple languages - consider what is involved in bringing that language
> support in.

Again, Drupal has all the resources and modules to all this
internationalization contents.
Users are first redirect to the website based on the browser settings
and could set the preferred language into their profile.

For news and most of the contents, the same content have place for all
the necessary translations, defaulting to english when the translation
is not ready. It seem to me excellent for the primary page, news and
general contents. For forums I have tested nothing yet.

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

I have done little use of the forums.

> During the meeting it was agreed that we would discuss these points here
> in the lists so as to get some traction around them. And then have
> another 45 min chat[1] in a few weeks time to recap on development and
> also to finalise what questions need to be in the questionnaire.

I think I was in [1] :)

> - KB
>
> [1]: so if you are 40 min late, dont be surprised if everyone else
> leaves after 5 minutes :)

Cleber Paiva de Souza