[CentOS-devel] mock-0.9.19 on CentOS5/RHEL5

Florian La Roche

florian.laroche at gmx.net
Sun Nov 15 16:21:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 01:09:14PM -0500, Mike McLean wrote:
> On 11/12/2009 01:40 AM, Florian La Roche wrote:
> >if you want to run the newest version of mock (0.9.19)
> >with RHEL5/CentOS5, you can use a backported version from:
> >
> >http://www.jur-linux.org/rpms/el-updates/5/SRPMS/mock-0.9.19-1.el5.src.rpm
> >http://www.jur-linux.org/rpms/el-updates/5/i386/mock-0.9.19-1.el5.noarch.rpm
>
> So basically just reverting the dbus patch (2046136e)?
>
> Perhaps since RHEL5 is something of an important platform for mock we
> should consider making this codepath conditional, or otherwise fix this
> without forking.

Hello Mike,

this small change is all that is needed, at least for a first start.
I've put this into bugzilla in August and Clark has done a clean patch
within two days, but it is not commited into the public repo and also
no new rpm has been pushed out. See bz 516355 for details.

Karanbir: You've already emailed the current CentOS position to have
one mock version across all of CentOS3/4/5 running and that the newest
bits don't qualify for that. This could maybe change next year once CentOS3
does not get updates anymore. I could see similar decisions like e.g.
keeping to a mock version starting at initial release of a new major
CentOS push-out. (Then CentOS-5 would always stick to the mock release
that was used for CentOS-5.0...)
Another idea that Red Hat would probably support is to just use the
same mock version that also Red Hat uses for their releases, just to have
another data point that CentOS is really 100% compatibel to RHEL.
(Keeping infrastructure the same should be extended to as many parts
as possible.)

regards,

Florian La Roche