[CentOS-devel] Lang subsites/ portals

Jerry Amundson

jamundso at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:00:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> The meeting last evening was mostly fruitful. There were 4 major points
> that came through:
>
> 1) Do we want the language specific content to go in as
> <lang>.centos.org with forums and a small portal behind each one of
> those ( like fr.centos.org ) - or is it more userfriendly to have the
> resources abstracted out and each language specific content being marked
> in different namespace from the english content - eg. wiki.centos.org
> and wiki.centos.org/es . This would imply a forums.centos.org comes up
> and the spanish specific content is held at forums.centos.org/es

I like centos.org and *.centos.org to be english content, with
non-english at *.centos.org/xx and centos.org/xx. That's leaves * open
for infrastructure issues - certificates, servers, odd or legacy
software, etc.

> 2) A unified login setup is considered fairly high value, so one
> username/password would work across all the various *.centos.org sites.
> There are a few different ways to achieve this, however only when the
> user facing decisions are made will we look into this so as to not waste
> time with options that are not usable or will not be usable in the final
> setup.

Good.

> 3) We want to ideally only have one instance of any bit of software, and
> have that support the languages natively. If there isnt any support for
> multiple languages - consider what is involved in bringing that language
> support in.

Yes, reasonable. A tangent which could apply here, is if there can be,
or needs to be, the capability of a sort of language-wheel for
*contributed* content. The example could be a wiki page that userA
creates in english, then userB translates to *.centos.org/xB in
his/her language... really more of a procedural/workflow item, and not
tied to software capabilities though, now that I read it back. [3a]

OTOH, forums are another matter. I see most implement multi-lang as
sections/categories within the single "forum" site, which of course is
contrary to 1. above, and the forum model is not conducive to my
language-wheel idea. But then, for this and other reasons, I'm not
fond of forums anyway...

> 4) Most of the people who attended the talk where people who dont
> themselves either use the forums or know much about them and how they
> are used - so the idea came up to put together a set of questions, and
> then have the existing forum users and list users provide some feedback.
> Exactly what these questions need to be, is something that needs working
> on. A wiki page will get setup and we can all put in suggestions.

Maybe something like http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/Feedback
or whatever is chosen... no matter to me.

jerry

[3a]                  fr

                       en
                       /  \