[CentOS-devel] deltarpm and presto for centos

Mon Nov 16 10:26:10 UTC 2009
Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 11:06 +0100, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 14.11.09 16:08, schrieb Farkas Levente:
> > hi
> > what's the current status of deltarpms and presto for centos? i'm just
> > rebuild deltarpms, presto-utils, yum-presto packages from fedora for
> > centos. is there any plan to add them to centos extras? what's the
> > current state? i'm interested about not just using but generating
> > deltarpms enabled repositories. imho it can save a lot's of bandwith for
> > everybody (not to mention if presto will use google's courgette
> > algorithm too).
>
> Do you have any metrics?
>
> Like: Updates for 5.x are x GB without prestom but only y GB with
> presto? How much additional space will be required on the mirrors? Other
> things which might be needed to make a decision?

In my presto-enabled CentOS 5.4 i386 mirror, the deltarpms take up 91MB
(compared to 1.2GB for the actual RPMS).

Total savings tends to be anywhere from 60%-80%, though YMMV.  Large
packages like openoffice tend to delta well, while packages with lots of
compressed files tend to delta poorly.

In a rather extreme example, openoffice.org-core-2.3.0-6.11.el5_4.1 is
88MB.  The deltarpm from 2.3.0-6.11.el5 is 917K.  In a more normal
example, kernel-PAE-2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 is 16M, while the deltarpm from
2.6.18-164.2.1.el5 is 2.5MB.

Jonathan