[CentOS-devel] Lang subsites/ portals

Tue Nov 24 21:36:32 UTC 2009
Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:07 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Hi Jerry,

Hello!

>>> At this time, were not really interested in even considering what
>> I think "we" should be interested in alternatives. A "WebsiteVer2"
>> should be a big deal. A great "look". Hell, even a "marketing tool".
>> So far, is it more than a forum conversion?
>
> You seem confused, and I think also need to actually go through whats
> been said and about what.

You're right, of course, so I did, starting with this thread.

> The bit that you seem to have read and completely missed out is that
> were not interested in what software is going to be used - lets focus on
> what needs to be done, built around some user stories and then see what
> software meets the requirements.

Yes, I agree to those points and didn't "miss" them. The scope
described above makes sense.

> The brain-dead idea that we seem to live with, often, in the open source
> world is to shoehorn a user experience into the software-of-the-day.
> Lets not try and go down that route.

OK. The following bit gives the impression, however, that such a route
has been partly "mapped out":
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:
> I guess the question is not about which software should be used. There
> has been an evaluation process in the past:
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums
>
> and migration scripts from new-bb to phpbb are already available and
> ready for testing:
> http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/forums/newbb_to_phpbb

Blech! Now I see - I interpreted the existence of "migration scripts"
to mean that phpBB was decided as the forum platform, however they are
there for the eval process also.

Sorry for the noise,
jerry