[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-qa] 5.4 - i386 isos and tree

Douglas McClendon dmc.centos at filteredperception.org
Tue Oct 27 21:31:54 UTC 2009

Patrice Guay wrote:

>> The bleeding edge first pass bits are here-
>>
>> http://filteredperception.org/downloads/overlay/20091027/livecd-tools-014-6dmc.src.rpm
>>

>> I've successfully tested something that either is equivalent to that
>> build, or very very close.  But I'll put out a really tested srpm in a
>> couple more days, which hopefully will also have the useful
>> separate-filesystem persistenthome feature, as well as the global
>> persistence incorporated here.
>>
> I will take a look at this updated version of livecd-tools. To
> incorporate this version into the current livecd-tools project, I will
> explode your source RPM, examine and pick the relevant patches.

Cool.  I think I made it pretty simple, just the additions of the
patches.  The patches themselves were all just vanilla downloads from
the gitweb 'raw' links.  I believe I only put relevant patches in.  Or
rather, I think I took all the patches up to the mayflower split because
I knew they would apply, then after that only took relevant, or what
seemed like really useful patches.

Also, my test in progress of those exact bits just succeeded, so you can
take that as is.  There might be one or two patches (reset_overlay)
which are in there, and postdate the persistenthome ones that are also
desirable.  But I'd guess applying just the one or two out of order
won't interfere much.

Now if only I could get some other devicemapper developers to buy into
my theory of having dm-snapshot intelligently respond to the new discard
request mechanism.  Then this form of LiveUSB persistence would be much
more usable.  I.e. currently your overlay file resources can and do get
drained by created and deleted files that the block layer at the moment
doesn't handle as efficiently as possible.  This is also the reason why
you might want /home on a seperately mounted, not-dm-shapshotted
loopback file ala the persistenthome feature.

Cheers,

-dmc