[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-qa] 5.4 - i386 isos and tree

Phil Schaffner

Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov
Thu Oct 15 20:46:16 UTC 2009

Johnny Hughes wrote on 10/15/2009 01:48 PM:
> On 10/15/2009 09:29 AM, Patrice Guay wrote:
>> To prevent misuse of the distribution channels, the kickstart files for
>> the LiveCD images must be available for review and discussion. Then,
>> rebuilding periodically the approved ISO images and putting them on the
>> mirrors could be automated.
>>

> Right ... I think we must be insistent that we do not include things
> that can not be included in Fedora and/or EPEL (nonfree) ... and
> personally, I don't like anything that we do not maintain the SRPMS for
> already in CentOS (either plus/extras/os).  We can discuss adding things
> not in CentOS to the DVD ... but must be careful.
>
> The goal (i think) is providing a DVD/CD with more capability, but not a
> new distro.

Precisely what I had in mind.  Strictly CentOS packages, except for
things like those in the [livecd] repo that are required to build it.

OTOH, there might still be an audience for "plus" version[s] with things
like iwl3945-firmware or [elrepo] wireless drivers, [rpmforge]
multimedia, etc.  Such extended versions would obviously (to me) not be
available through CentOS channels, but might be pointed to from the Wiki
in the same way 3rd party repos are, if somebody else was interested in
hosting them.

Phil